Two hour post-natal appointment

So today was my first postnatal appointment with a woman who had a few babies, and was the closest appointment of all!

I welcomed the short drive (well, comparatively short) with a woman and her baby who were a few weeks postnatal. The woman had a complex history which she was open in explaining to me, and the appointment was mostly for feeding support.

Entirely apt

In my training, the practice I've generally seen is a visit the day after leaving hospital (very, very few home births and no MLU) then another visit day 5/6 for the newborn blood spot test and weighing the baby, and generally if no concerns a phone call on day 10 to discharge to the health visitor. So to see a baby and woman a few weeks postpartum was a new world! I felt strangely out of my depth considering university do teach us about postnatal care till week 6, but the reality is I've never put this into practice. For this reason, I think I held back quite a lot. The placement is observational anyway, but I was a lot quieter as most of my feeding knowledge that is ingrained into me is most relevent to early feeding issues such as a 'sleepy' baby, concerns about supply, positioning and attachment, formula volumes etc etc. 

Postnatal care is regarded as the cinderella of maternity services by women and staff alike, its often the most underfunded and understaffed area of care so its utterly refreshing to see such fantastic, holistic postnatal care. Yorkshire Storks offer complete midwifery postnatal care until week 6 with every woman, with visits a minimum of weekly and at most twice daily, with that changing appointment to appointment depending on not just the clinical picture, but at the womans request too. 

As with every other engagement with the Storks, the appointment was unhurried with the woman and her family speaking freely and frankly and a natural end to the conversation and  on the womans terms.

Sadly, thats almost the end of my week with them! I'm going to the Harrogate home birth support group on Sunday with Chris and back with them week commencing 30th April.

Next week I start at delivery suite!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delivery Suite, and a tour of A+E

#IDM2018 at #UWShealth

Birth Centres are cool